Hybrid Model: Returning to the Classroom

Lauren Kluttz, Writer

On November 11th, the Board of Education approved plans for Frederick County Public Schools to operate face-to-face. However, this hybrid model will not look the same as a typical school day previously may have.

First, parents and students were allowed to decide if they would stay virtual or try hybrid, on their own. Students who choose the hybrid model will be split into two cohorts and attend school for classes twice a week starting February 16th. During the other three days, students will continue virtual learning. Students and teachers must wear a mask while inside the building at all times. Teachers are required to return January 27th, leaving two weeks of preparation before the model starts. Winter sports will return Monday January 25th.

To accommodate the hybrid model, a new schedule will be followed at the start of the second semester. For high school students,  the school day will start at 7:30 am and classes will end at 12:30 pm. From 9:30 am to 10:50 am students will have a break to each lunch and receive support, and from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm students will have independent work time which will be completed at home.

On Wednesdays, students will have self-directed work time from 7:30 am to 8:25 am. Blocks one and two will be from 8:30 am to 9:25 am. Lunch and support will be at the same time as usual. Blocks three and four will be from 10:55 am to 12:10 pm, and students will have independent work time from 12:15 pm to 2:30 pm.

For additional schedules, visit Hybrid Student Schedule.