15 Anime Recommendations for Spring 2021

Cecilia Morales, Writer

With quarantine continuing into the new year 2021, with staying at home all this time you’ve probably watched a lot of shows, movies, etc online to pass the time. If you feel like you’re running out of shows to watch, fear not! As I have 15 Anime recommendations to keep your watch-list full for the spring!

• Somali and The Forest Spirit (2020)

If you’re looking for a wholesome beautifully animated show with interesting characters that gets more intense as it continues, Somali is for you!

Follow the adventures of a young orphaned girl named Somali and her caretaker Golem, as they take her along a search for her own kind, all the while keeping her disguised as a minotaur child, as humans have almost been driven to full extinction due to monsters over a quarrel some time ago…

• BNA: Brand New Animal (2020)

If you’re into shows that show separation of societies and the drama that exists within those societies, BNA is right up your alley.

In a world where humans and Beastmen, humans with animal DNA exist you would think that they would be able to easily blend into society and be accepted, but you’d be wrong. Humans hunt Beastmen, unable to see them as equals, causing them to flee to an island that they can call their own, Anima City. However, the drama unfolds when Michiru Kagemori starts turning into a Tanuki beastman and flees to Anima City in search of answers to her condition, her lost memories, and her missing best friend Nazuna.

• High Rise Invasion (2021)

Warning, don’t watch this if you aren’t into gore and violence! If you do like this however, you may dig this one!

Yuri Honjo, an ordinary highschool girl is suddenly transported to a world which consists of skyscrapers connected through wooden suspension bridges, with no way to go down since all of the stairways downward are blocked off. To make matters worse, masked figures roam the skyscrapers, targeting the victims transported there and killing them. With finding out her brother is trapped in the same place as her, she learns how to survive, find allies, discover the power behind the masks, and try to save herself, her brother, and everyone she can. Including a mysterious masked man, who claims to know her brother she’s trying so hard to reunite with.

• My Hero Academia (2016-Present)

This popular superhero shounen makes it to another recommendation list once again!

Izuku Midoriya is a quirkless teenager, in a world where superpowers called “quirks” are the norm. He was always bullied for not having a quirk, believing he would never become a hero. That was until he runs into his idol, the famed symbol of peace hero, All Might, in a battle between a slime villain and All Might, in which he and his childhood friend/bully Bakugou is saved. All Might admires Izuku’s will and determination to save Bakugou, and in turn he passes on his quirk which has been passed down to him over generations, All for One. With Dekus new quirk, he enters UA high school and trains hard to become a hero.

Season 5 comes March 27th! Get Ready!

• Cells at Work! (2018-Present)

This one is a slice of life comedy with a side of science for a twist!

Red Blood cell AE3803 is a rookie blood cell just trying to deliver oxygen and nutrients, and is completely lost when it comes to navigating the large and vast human body, made of roughly 30 trillion cells. Watch as she constantly bumps into her friend White Blood Cell U-1146 as he defends the body against invasive germs and they run into several other germs, cells and viruses and learn about their purposes.

Season 2 premiered in January with new episodes continuing to release, as well as Cells at Work! CODE BLACK!, the more gorey spin off series about an unhealthy human body and the cells fighting to keep that body alive!

• Beastars (2019-Present)

Another anime about societal struggles and issues, love triangles and drama, but this time with anthropomorphic animals in 3D animation!

At Cherryton Academy, we meet Legoshi, a timid grey wolf and student at the academy, where he lives with other carnivorous students in a dorm, including his best friend Jack the Golden Labrador. He is a part of the drama club led by Louis, the leader, who is trying to become the next Beastar. Suddenly, one of the club members Tem the alpaca is murdered by another carnivorous student one night, which causes unease and distrust between herbivorous and carnivorous students. At the same time however, Legoshi has an encounter with a white dwarf rabbit Haru who is in love with Louis, and Legoshi begins to develop feelings for her.

The Japanese release premiered in 2021 and the English release will premiere in July 2021, but if you prefer the Japanese dub, Season 1 and 2 are at the ready!

• Jujutsu Kaisen (2021)

If you’re a fan of shows that focus on the supernatural, this is for you!

Yuji Itadori is an unnaturally fit highschool student who lives with his grandfather in Sendai. He avoids the track team due to the commitment despite having talent for it, and instead joins the Occult Research club due to the freedom it gives him, which allows him to see his dying grandfather everyday. Yuji’s grandfather tells him on his death bed 2 important things that he regretted not doing, “always help people” and “die surrounded by people”. After his death, Yuji interprets the message as “everyone should have a proper death”. He is later confronted by Megumi Fushiguro, a sorcerer informing him of a cursed charm talisman at his school, to which Yuji and his friends unseal, which allows swarms of Curses to the school brought forth by negative emotions. Yuji, unable to defeat them, swallows the finger to protect everyone from the powerful Curse, Ryomen Sukuna, but instead becomes its host. Because of this, sorcerers would have to exorcise him, but Yuji is able to mostly maintain control. Because of this, Megumi’s teacher, Satour Gojo, plans to postpone Yujis death sentence until all of Sukunas fingers are consumed, which will allow them to kill Sukuna once and for all.

• Wonder Egg Priority (2021)

If psychological horrors/thrillers are your type of anime, you may like this one!

Following the s*ic*de of her close friend Koito Nagase, Ai Ohto is temporarily not going to school at the moment to recover from her friend’s death. One night though, during a walk she finds an abandoned arcade, and a mysterious voice guides her to a gachapon machine that dispenses a “Wonder Egg”. Just then, she’s drawn into a dream world where the egg cracks open to reveal a girl that Ai must protect from monsters called “Seenos Evils”. When the voice tells Ai that saving enough people in this world will bring Koito back, she continues to buy wonder eggs and protecting their inhabitants. Along the way, Ai meets three other girls in the same situation: Neiru Aonuma, Rika Kawai and Momoe Sawaki.

• SK8 The Infinity (2021)

If you’re a fan of sports anime that has been on the rise in recent years, this is definitely one you should consider watching!

In Okinawa, Japan, a group of hardcore skaters participate in a secret in a no-holds-barred competiton after midnight known as “S”, in which they race one another on skateboards down a winding road carved out of an abandoned mine and forming rivalries with one another, what they call “beefs”. Reki, a highschool sophomore and hardcore skater takes a transfer student Langa to “S” one night, and ends up pulling him into the skateboarding world.

• The Great Pretender (2020)

A show about crime, action and comedy, one you can’t pass up!

Makoto Edamura is a small time con man who aspires to be in greater things. Hoping to find a good job to help pay his mothers medical bills, he starts working for a company, completely unaware he is engaging in fraud and is arrested and imprisoned for his engagement. Unable to find work after being paroled due to stigma and his fathers criminal past, he becomes a con artist instead. He ends up becoming another con man’s partner, Laurent Thierry, after an unsuccessful attempt to con him. From there, they create a whole team, and the adventure begins.

• Demon Slayer The Movie: Mugen Train (2020)

If you are a fan of the anime demon slayer, it is vital that you watch this movie so you won’t miss the Mugen Train Arc!

Follow our protagonists Tanjirou, Nezuko, Inouske and Zenjitsu on their mission on a train to assist the Flame Hashira Kyojuro Rengoku on his mission to hunt a demon on the train that has killed several demon slayers, a demon who is putting everyone on the train into a deep sleep, Enmu, one of the lower rank of the Twelve Kizuki demons, led under Muzan Kibutsuji, the most powerful demon in all of existence.

• Pacific Rim: The Black (2021)

If you like the Pacific Rim franchise, or generally a fan of Kaiju in general, this new series is for you!

Set in the future, a race of monsters called Kaiju rise from the Pacific Rim and overrun Australia. To combat this, humans created gigantic armed robots called Jaegers to fight back against the Kaiju, but they failed and since then only a small number of survivors remain on the continent after its abandonment. Two siblings survivors, Taylor and Hayley Travis are left behind by their parents who went to fight the Kaiju, only to never return. 5 years later, Hayley stumbles upon an abandoned Jaeger called the Atlas destroyer which she and Taylor activate to set out to find their parents. Along their journey they have to deal with the Kaiju, and other survivors fighting for survival and to steal the Atlas destroyer for themselves.

• Josee, The Tiger and The Fish

If you like animated adaptations of live action films, especially wholesome ones, you may want to check this one out for yourself!

Based off of the short story from 1984 by Seiko Tanabe and later the live action film in 2003 of the same name and storyline, it follows the story of a university student and avid diver, Tuseno who becomes the caretaker for Josee, a woman who has rarely ever left her home due to being wheelchair bound her whole life, in order to raise money for his dream of going diving in Mexico. Over the course of time, they begin to develop a friendship, learn about each other’s lives, come to understand one another and eventually develop strong feelings for each other.

• Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (2021)

If you’ve been a long time fan of Evangelion, this film is the final one, one you shouldn’t miss!

As the fourth and final film of the Evangelion franchise wraps up, starting up in Paris, France, Ritsuko, Maya and Mari try to resume the activation of the Anti-L system while fighting off never before seen Evas. Meanwhile, Shinji, Asuka, and Rei are still in Japan, wandering the remnants of Tokyo 3, and eventually settle in a village near it, while Shinji starts to get help with recovering from the 3rd impact trauma. Now, with everything on the other side put into place, the Instrumentality Project can finally begin and they will make one last attempt to prevent the Final Impact.

• Godzilla S.P. (2021)

Gathering all Kaiju fans here, specifically those who love the Godzilla franchise! A new anime arrives for you all!

Set in the year 2030 in Nigashio City, Chiba Prefecture, Yun Arikawa, the owner of a local multipurpose Otaki Factory investigates an abandoned European style home for clues. Meanwhile, Mei Kamino, a graduate student who studies creatures of fantasy, investigates mysterious signals coming from the Old Tsuguno District administration bureau “Misakioku”. Two people, strangers in different places, investigating different things, hear the same song at the same time. This song brings them together, and brings them into a battle beyond anything else which grips the entire world. A mystery left by a lone researcher, monsters called Kaiju appear across the globe, and the world is dyed red. Can these two face the seemingly hopeless future that threatens all of mankind?