15 Video Game Recommendations for Summer 2021

Cecilia Morales, Writer

Summer 2021 is on the horizon, and with quarantine stretching on, you probably need something to play, watch a playthrough of, you know the drill. Luckily, we have 15 games that you may enjoy playing this summer, from recently released titles to titles upcoming in the summer months to be hyped about!

Final Fantasy 7-Remake, Released: 4/10/2020

A Remake of the original Final Fantasy 7 from 1997 makes its way into the world!

Cloud Strife is a former member of SOLDIER, the elite warriors of the Shinra Electric Power Company. Shinra uses Mako, a refined form of the Planet’s spiritual energy harvested by massive reactors, to power the metropolis of Midgar and develop cutting-edge technology. Disillusioned with Shinra, and at the request of his childhood friend Tifa Lockhart, Cloud takes a mercenary job for Avalanche, an eco-terrorist organization, led by Barret Wallace. Barret believes excessive Mako harvesting harms the planet, leading a bombing attack on a Mako reactor. In the aftermath, Cloud is haunted by memories of Sephiroth, an enigmatic former SOLDIER member, and meets the florist Aerith Gainsborough. Strange ghost-like entities, who alternately help and hinder Cloud throughout the game, cause him to be recruited for another attack, in which he goes missing in action. Cloud meets Aerith again and protects her from Shinra forces. After they reunite with Tifa, the trio learns that Shinra plans to collapse a piece of the “plate” onto the Sector 7 slums. Avalanche fails to stop Shinra’s plan, and the plate falls. Aerith helps most of the population and Barrett’s daughter Marlene evacuate in time, but is captured by Shinra.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Playstation 5

Little Nightmares 2, Released: 12/9/2020

The ever so popular game Little Nightmares brings you its long awaited sequel!

Follow the little boy with a paper bag over his head, Mono, and the previous protagonist, a little girl in a yellow raincoat, Six, as they embark on a journey to escape Pale City, a creepy, misty city with things that aren’t quite what they seem, and incredibly off putting people, and a mysterious Signal Tower they must seek out.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android devices, Xbox One, Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Stadia

Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights, Released: 1/21/2021

If you are a fan of RPG games and platformers combined, this game is up your alley!

In the End Kingdom, a cursed rain begins to fall upon the kingdom, and never seems to stop. This rain, called the Dying Rain, turned the End Kingdom’s inhabitants into undead creatures that ravaged the kingdom. It seemed that this would continue forever, until Lily, one of the last surviving priestesses of the End Kingdom, wakes up with no recollection of recent events, to a ravaged kingdom. She decides to abandon the safety of the church and explore the kingdom in hopes to find the source of the rain, and to try and summon the spirits of the purified undead to help protect her along her journey.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Xbox Series X and S

Persona 5: The Phantom Strikers, Released: 2/20/21

What’s that Persona fans? That’s right! A direct sequel to the original Persona 5 with a whole new adventure full of stealing hearts ahead!

About two years after dismantling the palaces of the corrupt and dismantling the Phantom Thieves, Akira Kurusu, Morgana and the gang get back together for the summer to catch up and have a good time. But there’s something they haven’t exactly accounted for. Places in the metaverse are showing up that are similar to palaces, called Jails, through a mysterious AI downloadable for all phones called EMMA. To make matters worse, no one knows why, and now that the Phantom Thieves are back in action to take down these Jails, the police are on their tails, skeptical of them in this new change of heart epidemic. Follow them as they embark on a summer vacation they never expected, with a police officer they slowly befriend, and an AI named Sophie with a mysterious past who could unlock some of the secrets to why this is all going down.

Available on these platforms: Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Microsoft Windows (Steam)

Cozy Grove, Released: 3/19/2021

If you’re a fan of life sim adventure games, this one’s for you!

Travel as a Spirit scout through the island of Cozy Grove, a haunted island that is constantly changing. As you camp and wander around, you will discover the island’s hidden secrets and help soothe the local ghosts that inhabit the island. With time, patience, and a bit of crafting, you can bring color and joy back into the island of Cozy Grove!

Available on these platforms: Nintendo Switch, Playstation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Apple systems.

Animal Crossing New Horizons, Released: 3/20/2021

Hello long time Animal Crossing fans!

Welcome to the new instalment of Animal Crossing! This time, you get to travel to an island of choice with the Nook Island getaway package made by Tom Nook and his helpful little nephews Timmy and Tommy. When you arrive, you get to set up your campsite, meet your new camping buddies, name your island, and over time make your island your own by inviting new villagers, helping set up new places, and redoing your island to your liking. You can also visit your friends’ islands with the online player feature at the airport!

Available on these platforms: Nintendo Switch

Doom Eternal, Released: 3/20/2021

Hey Doom fans! We have a new installment for you that was released around the same time as animal crossing, so cop both!

Some time after the events on Mars, Earth has been overrun by demonic forces, wiping out 60% of the planet’s population, under the now-corrupted Union Aerospace Corporation (UAC). What remains of humanity has either fled Earth or have joined the Armored Response Coalition, a resistance movement formed to stop the invasion, which has gone into hiding after suffering heavy losses. The Doom Slayer, having previously been betrayed and teleported away by Dr. Samuel Hayden, returns with a satellite fortress controlled by the AI VEGA to quell the demonic invasion by killing the Hell Priests: Deags Nilox, Ranak, and Grav. The priests serve an angelic being known as the Khan Maykr who seeks to sacrifice mankind for her own race’s survival. The Slayer teleports to a destroyed city and kills Deag Nilox, but the Khan Maykr transports the two remaining priests to unknown locations, forcing the Slayer to continue searching.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation 5, Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series X and S, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Stadia

New Pokemon Snap, Released: 4/30/2021

If you ever played the original Pokemon Snap as a child, you may love the new remastered version today!

A remastered version of the 1999 Pokemon Snap for the Nintendo 64, Pokemon Snap allows you to take pictures of your favorite Pokemon in their natural environment in the Lental Region. You can toss fruit at the pokemon to catch their attention for a better pose, and play your Poke Flute to catch their attention. Later, you can submit them to the Lental Region professor to have them rated.

Resident Evil Village, Released: 5/7/2021

We all know this one rocked the internet with its trailer, and got former Resident Evil fans and non fans excited. Don’t worry, this game has you covered.

After the events of Resident Evil 7, Ethan Winters and his wife Mia Winters are finally settled down in Europe with their 6 month old daughter Rosemary Winters. That is until Chris Redfeild and his men murder his wife in cold blood and kidnap Rosemary and Ethan, sending them to a mysterious village somewhere in Europe. There, he must traverse through the village to find his daughter and kill the leaders of the four houses under Mother Miranda: Lady Dimitrescu, Donna Beneviento, Salvatore Moraeu, and Karl Heisenberg.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Stadia

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Set to Release: 6/11/2021

Fans of the long running Ratchet and Clank series, we bring you another installment!

Follow our two well known characters as they travel across multiple different worlds and realities to stop their arch nemesis Doctor Nefarious, from taking advantage of the catastrophic dimensional collapse to achieve his goal of exterminating all organic life in all universes. To do this, they must destroy the malfunctioning Dimensionator which caused the dimensional collapse in the first place, making Ratchet and Clank get separated in an alternate dimension where Doctor Nefarious has a more capable counterpart named Emperor Nefarious, and where they meet a female Lombax named Rivet, who they team up with and form a resistance to stop the Doctor and the Emperor from conquering and  destroying all life in every universe.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 5

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance, Set to Release: 6/22/2021

Hello D&D fans!

Taking control of the infamous drow Drizzt Do’Urden and his party of Catti-brie, Wulfgar and Bruenor Battlehammer, players fend off monsters set to overwhelm Icewind Dale in search of a powerful artifact, The Crystal Shard.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, Microsoft Windows (Steam)

Scarlet Nexus, Set to Release: 6/25/2021

If you like third person action role playing games, definitely consider this one!

Set in the near future and an alternate reality where humanity develops technology and forms society based on the substances found in human brains. These substances also grant humans extrasensory superpowers. The Other Suppression Force (OSF) recruits members with supernatural abilities to protect humanity from the Others, mindless monsters descending from the Extinction Belt.

A Tale of Synapse: The Chaos Theories, Set to Release: 6/30/2021

If you’re a big fan of colorful and fun puzzle platformer games, definitely consider this game!

A Tale of Synapse is a cross between platformer and puzzle style games combining abstract art and sciences together. Use the universe’s rules and all the elements that compose it to help Synapsians to be open-minded. Discover an incredible and colorful story with Sci and Néro, two heroes, who cooperate to evolve in this oneiric world based on Math’s logic rules. The original soundtrack will immerse you in the universe of Hemeide.

Available on these platforms: Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Apple Devices

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin, Set to Release: 7/9/2021

Hey there Monster Hunter Stories fans! We have a new instalment that will truly knock your socks off!

Our story begins when a species of dragons called Rathalos have begun disappearing all around the world with no explanation. You play as Red, the descendant of a legendary dragon rider who must have a fateful encounter with a wyverian girl named Ena, who has been entrusted with a Rathalos egg to hatch it and raise it, but not let it awaken o its destructive powers, as it will wreak havoc across the world.

Available on these platforms: Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows (Steam)

Little Devil Inside, Set to Release: July 2021

If you dig open world fantasy games, make sure to pick up this game!

In this world you play as Billy, a young swordsman who has been employed by a research team led by the college professor Vincent and his colleague Doctor Oliver, to travel across the world in search of the supernatural and to explore unusual incidents caused by them. Their objective is to create an encyclopedia of all the supernatural creatures in the world.

Available on these platforms: Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows (Steam), Linux, Wii U, Playstation 5, Apple devices